Is there such a thing as a good divorce?
Monday, November 28, 2016
This week marks the start of Good Divorce Week 2016. This is not the contradiction in terms that it may first seem, but is about sending a message that divorce doesn’t have to be full of conflict, and that the role of lawyers can be to help families separate in a positive way.
At Neves we seek to approach divorce constructively and consider the needs of the whole family. We are members of Resolution which is a community of Family Justice professionals committed to this ethos. On Wednesday this week Resolution will be holding a lobby day in Parliament and this year will be campaigning for “no fault” divorce and improving rights for co-habiting couples. Resolution has also updated its Code of Practice, and our family solicitors at Neves abide by this.
Essentially what it means for our clients is that we make a commitment at the outset to:
- Listen to you, be honest with you and treat you with respect
- Explain all the options and give you confidence to make the right decisions
- Help you focus on what is important in the long term
- Help you balance financial and emotional costs with what you want to achieve
- Work with others to find the right approach and the best solutions for you
- Manage stress in what can be an already stressful situation.
If you feel this approach would be helpful for you or any friends or family going through the stress of a divorce or separation, then please contact us.